The inaugural Internet of Things World Forum is a new event that aims to bring together Internet innovators in markets such as manufacturing, transportation, oil and gas, utilities, healthcare, sports and entertainment, government, education and retail. Thought leaders, practitioners in business, industry, government and academia will also be in attendance, aiming to accelerate the development of the rapidly emerging Internet of Things marketplace. It will take place in October 2013 in Barcelona, Spain.
The main objectives of the Internet of Things World Forum are:
- Addressing social, policy, technological and environmental issues pertinent to the Internet of Things
- Fostering cross-industry, cross-discipline innovation and best practices
- Defining relevant standards and solutions in areas such as security, policy, compliance, and interoperability
- Addressing common issues and requirements across industries to create a technology platform for the Internet of Things
- Accelerating the market for the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things is often described as the connection of people, processes, data and things, and is predicted to create business opportunities of up to $14.4 trillion in economic value over the next 10 years. This $14.4 trillion in potential value relies on expected massive deployments of networked sensors, smart devices and things that will fully enable the power of the Internet of Things, thus radically transforming typical business operations into intelligent, data driven and innovative business processes.
Some of the key companies and players that serve on the Internet of Things World Forum steering committee include:
Accenture, Airbus, Alstom, Bosch Software Innovations, Ford Motor Company, General Electric, Honeywell, Itron, Johnson Controls, Misfit Wearables, New York Academy of Sciences, Oracle, Panduit, Qualcomm Technologies Inc., Rockwell Automation, SAP, Shell, Smart Cities Council, Tata Consultancy Services, Thales, TTTech, Verizon Wireless, Wind River, and World Wide Technology, Inc.