April 30, 2019
Did you know… While there is no silver bullet to combatting illegal robocalls, there are some clear DO’S and DONT’S that you can follow to protect yourself.
ILLEGAL ROBOCALL DO’S
- DO contact your voice provider to inquire about available tools
- DO register with the FTC’s Do-Not-Call list and file complaints
- DO contact your state’s public service commission or consumer protection office to see if your state has a do not call list, and to find out how to register your number or numbers
- DO educate yourself about available tools
- DO check out the FCC’s website that provides robocall blocking resources
- DO educate yourself about common scams, like the Wangiri, SSA, and the IRS collection scam
- DO contact your voice provider if you receive numerous illegal calls from the same number
ILLEGAL ROBOCALL DONT’S
- DON’T answer calls with an unfamiliar caller ID
- DON’T press any number or button to get removed from their list
- DON’T engage with the robocaller making the call
- DON’T give personal information
- DON’T ever give the robocaller your financial information
- DON’T ever pay for anything over the phone with things like gift cards
RESOURCES: HOW TO STOP OR REPORT ROBOCALLS
TOOLS TO BLOCK ROBOCALLS
There are numerous online call blocking services, devices, and apps. Research your options by contacting your phone provider and searching online for expert reviews.
USTelecom is committed to working with government and industry stakeholders to ensure aggressive civil and criminal enforcement against illegal robocallers and provide call-blocking solutions to consumers.
Check out out Robocalls Action Center and Industry Traceback Group for more information.
We have released a series of resources to help consumers protect themselves from unwanted calls:
Infographic: Safety on the Line
Protecting Yourself from Spoofing
Protecting America’s Senior Citizens
Not All Robocalls are Illegal
America’s broadband providers are committed to protecting consumers from illegal robocalls.